Thursday 1 August 2013

Mocha Granola

                            I haven't posted in a LONG time, and I'm sorry


 There. A big jar of chocolate granola. Does that make you feel better? I though it would.


 I have many good reasons why I haven't updated in awhile.



 #1. I was at camp, which is on an island, with extremely limited internet access
#2. Work. 20+ hours a week, and helping my mom maintain the house.
#3. Traveling. I attended a week long conference out of province, so flying was involved. I created this granola as a thank-you gift to my host family (I stayed an extra day after the conference due to flight schedules)
Ingredients:
4 c. rolled oats
2 c. bran
2 c. rice crispies
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c double strength coffee (I used 1/2 hot water mixed with one T instant coffee)
1/2 c oil
1/4 c cocoa
1/2 c sweetener (honey, baking stevia, xylitol, whatever floats your boat. I used 1/4 honey blended with 1/4 c soaked dates)
1/2-1 c chocolate chips (I use dark)
In a large bowl, mix oats, bran, rice crispies, and salt. In a smaller bowl, mix the coffee, oil, cocoa and sweetener. Pour the wet over the dry, and mix until everything is coated. I recommend trying it before baking, to see if it's sweet enough. You may have to adjust the sweetness according to your liking.
Spread onto a baking pan with raised sides. Bake at 300F for 30 minutes, stirring every 6-10.
Once the granola is cooked, let it cool slightly before transferring in to a container. Add the chocolate chips (again 1/2 - 1 cup, depending on how chocolaty you like :) to the warm granola, and shake so the chocolate melts and forms clumps.
Let it cool completely, then shake again, to break up any gigantic chocolate balls.
Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment