Saturday 5 January 2013

A Giant Carob Donut! (Masquerading as a chocolate cake) Sugar free/Dairy free/Gluten free

A giant donut  . .


 (But, shhh, don't tell it that it's not really a donut. . . it's a cake!)



I am making up for my long absence with some new recipes :D I hope you'll enjoy my newest healthy creation!


1 1/4 c oat flour (whiz oats in a blender or food processor)
1 c raisins or dates, or a mix of both
1/4 c. carob or cocoa (if cocoa is used, I suggest adding some stevia or extra sweetener of your choice)
1/4 coconut oil, softened
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 egg whites
1 tsp almond extract
1 c. hot water.
Pulse the oat flour and dates until the dates have reached a fine consistency. It is very important that if you're making oat flour, do it before adding the dates. If you don't, you'll end up with a wonderful crumbly mixture that is delicious, but the cake won't rise.
Add the carob, salt, baking powder, and soda. Pulse some more.
Pour in the coconut oil, egg whites, almond extract and hot water. Let the food processor run until everything is incorporated. Grease a bunt pan and fill it with the batter.
Bake for 25-30 min at 350 F, until a toothpick comes out clean.
*Note: Due to the fact that coconut oil is solid when chilled, and liquid when heated, the cake will be very fragile, so allow it to cool at least 10-15 min before cutting. I recommend eating it warm, or heating up leftovers in the microwave for 20 seconds.  

5 comments:

  1. ;o That's one giant donut! Haha, I have made mini donuts, but never one large one! looks good :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm, mini donuts. . . I might have to try my hand at them :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. my. goodness. I really want to make this brilliant giant donut (!), but I'm afraid I'll eat it all. Come over and help me with it? ;)

    ReplyDelete