Wednesday 9 May 2012

Are Your Veggies Boring?

This is something I've struggled with most of my life. Yes, I know that I need to be eating veggies every day, but sometimes there are so many other foods calling my name!
So here are a few of my favorite ways to make eating vegetables fun:
Salad. The possibilities are endless. Throw in some leftover chicken from last night's supper, a handful of roasted chickpeas (upcoming recipe!) Some fish.
Have fun and play around to find flavor combo's you like!
Two of my favorites to get you started:
Sweet 'N Crunchy Salad
1-2 generous handfuls spinach, ripped into bite-sized pieces (the amount depends on how much salad you normally eat)
1 Tbsp ricotta cheese (low-fat if you wish, but for me, cheese is something I eat sparingly, but when I do, it's the REAL stuff with full flavor)
Shelled sunflower seeds
Raisins
Simply mix the ricotta with the spinach until evenly distributed. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and raisins. Eat.
Greek Salad
1-2 handfuls romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
feta cheese, crumbled*
Italian dressing, or other vinaigrette
*As I said before, I don't use a lot of cheese, just enough to add flavor. Especially with feta, less is more.
Toss everything and enjoy :)
Unexpected pairings:
Peanut butter and broccoli. LOVE! Again, with this less is more. I usually measure less then a Tbsp of peanut butter, then dip my broccoli and smile.
Add a Tbsp of medium salsa to your salad. It adds a great kick!
Roasted Cauliflower
cauliflower florets
lemon juice
chili powder
red pepper flakes (optional)
Spread out the florets on a baking pan and sprinkle/brush with lemon juice. Shake on some chili powder, and if you want an extra kick, red pepper flakes. Roast @ 400F for about 20-25 minutes then broil for 2.  
And there you have it! Just a few of the many ways to (gasp!) enjoy  love eating your greens! (and the not-so greens)
What's your favorite way to eat veggies?


No comments:

Post a Comment